4 Evergreen Survey Questions
December 18, 2015
Just as a decorated tree is the centerpiece of many families’ holiday decorations, customer surveys are the most prominent piece of most organizations’ customer listening programs.
We recommend short, targeted surveys with consistent questions. This encourages your customers to complete the survey and makes it possible to track trends in their responses. To help, we’ve packaged up four evergreen questions that will help you spruce up all of your surveys.
1. How would you rate your experience with your [purchase, experience, interaction, etc.]?
This customer satisfaction score (CSAT) question provides insight on how your customer felt about a specific interaction with your company. In addition to being important information on its own, a comparison of these results with later results can show you where you might have a touch point that has problems.
2. [Company name] made it easy for me to handle my issue.
Strongly disagree/Disagree/Neutral/Somewhat agree/Agree/Strongly Agree
This question generates the Customer Effort Score (CES). The perceived effort of an interaction has a strong correlation with customer loyalty, so it is important to know if customers are feeling frustrated at any point along their customer journey.
3. On a scale of 0-10, how likely would you be to recommend [company name] to a friend or colleague?
The fabled Net Promoter Score (NPS®)* question provides a snapshot of the health of your business from the point of view of the most important stakeholders—your customers.
4. Please tell us why you gave us this score.
This comes after your NPS question, and gives your customer a place to write more information—providing you with the “unstructured” feedback that offers much richer insight than a simple numerical score. If you are using a dynamic survey platform, you could vary the text of this question to reflect the NPS score your customer gave you:
- (Promoters): Great to hear you would recommend us! Please let us know what contributed to this great experience:
- (Neutral): Thanks for your feedback! Please let us know why you gave us this rating:
- (Detractor): Sorry to hear! Please let us know what we could have done to improve your experience:
These four questions will ensure that your surveys twinkle like tinsel. For more information on how to build a successful survey program, we’ll leave the Ultimate Guide to Survey Success under your CXMas tree.
In case you missed it, here are our other CXMas blogs.
Lisa Sigler is Sr. Manager of Content Marketing at Clarabridge. For over 16 years, Lisa has used her writing and editorial skills to bring the value and benefits of technology to life. In her current role, she works to demonstrate Clarabridge’s position as thought leader and trailblazer in the Customer Experience Management market. Lisa holds a B.A. of English from Kent State University. Read more from Lisa on Twitter @siglerLis.