Dorel Juvenile Drives ROI through Voice of the Customer
June 13, 2017
We never turn down an opportunity to chat with Bob Land, VP of Consumer Engagement at Dorel Juvenile about how he ensures seamless, positive customer experiences. This week, we’re particularly interested in his success using the Voice of the Customer (VoC) with a proven return on investment. This is what he had to say:
Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and Dorel Juvenile?
Land: Dorel Juvenile manufactures the most baby gear on the planet. Our portfolio features a diversity of strong global brands, such as Maxi-Cosi, Safety 1st, Quinny, and Tiny Love as well as regional brands such as COSCO, Angel, bébéconfort, and infanti. I’ve personally been with Dorel Juvenile since January 2014 and am passionate about enriching lives with solutions that compel consumers to absolutely LOVE a brand. Our mission is to care for precious life, and a vital element of our daily operations is the strong connection we maintain with our customers. We engage with them wherever they are, so they may always benefit from our products and services, even in ways they did not expect.
Can you describe your VoC journey?
Land: With Paul Powers’ appointment as Dorel Juvenile President and CEO in 2013, our leadership took the reins to give consumers a seat at the table. They inspired a culture of putting the consumer first. They added shifting to a consumer-oriented company to our corporate goals. And they drove investment in technology platforms to better understand our consumers — breaking down silos, replacing aging technology, and providing a toolbox of agile and API-connected systems (yes, Clarabridge included!).
What was it like before the change?
Land: Dorel Juvenile, like other consumer goods companies, leveraged various resources for consumer insights, including call center data, retail visits, benchmarking, and traditional customer surveys; but, we found that:
- The number of product reviews were increasing rapidly
- Most of our data did not include competitive information
- Each brand had different competitors, so segmenting the data we did have was becoming increasingly difficult
- Benchmarking was dependent on industry experience and ‘best sellers’ on retailers’ shelves
- Data was stored in multiple locations, and updating it was labor-intensive, inconsistent, and ineffective
What impact has applying a VoC program had on Dorel Juvenile?
Land: Today, Clarabridge is integrated across all levels and functions within the organization. We are now able to efficiently analyze and act on the voice of our consumers across all touchpoints. Resulting insights have driven:
- Data-driven decision making: There had been enough new features added to a multi-million-dollar product line with a 12-year legacy to justify a re-naming, but we thought sentiment for the product line was too positive to risk a change. However, Clarabridge data showed that consumers rated the product very low. The newly named product line has since broken every sales record at Dorel!
- Product innovation: Clarabridge helps us identify features that consumers especially like that should be retained and consumer pain points that need to be addressed. We’re using these types of insights to shape a brand-new product, I just can’t tell you about it yet.
- Increased retail sales: Consumer insights aided in selling new products, especially categories where we haven’t had a strong presence, and influenced a new approach with Amazon.com that resulted in over 75% year-over-year sales increase.
- Reduced costs: We implemented changes to address negative sentiment in one of our categories and reduced the return rate 18%. We also addressed a packaging issue we wouldn’t have known about otherwise and saw a 10% reduction in product damage.
- Improved consumer sentiment: We’ve reduced customer complaints, and our Net Promoter scores are consistently high compared to industry benchmarks.
And this is only the beginning! Dorel Industries spans more than 25 brands, including Cannondale, Schwinn, Pacific Cycle, GT, and Mongoose, so consumers across the board are in for a real treat throughout their kids’ life journeys.
Want a more detailed account of how Dorel Juvenile drove ROI with a simple shift? Check out the case study here!